The fight for the right to abortion, for equality and for representative democracy is at the service of the same objective: justice for all.
last November, Mrs. has partnered with NYU Law’s Brennan Center for Justice to create a groundbreaking microsite: “Abortion is Essential to Democracy.” As Jezebel reported: “A think tank that focuses on suffrage, political money and the criminal justice system highlights for the first time how attacks on democracy have led to the greatest threat to access to abortion since the Roe vs. Wade decision almost 50 years ago. A powerful NowThis op-doc video accompanied the series of essays published on the site.
Our two organizations launched the project immediately after Texas SB 8 went into effect and following the first (of many to come) egregious Supreme Court rulings authorizing its application. Experts from across the Brennan Center formulated a response to reflect on the myriad democratic dysfunctions that have helped erode abortion rights in America.
Now we continue with a live chat co-hosted by Mrs. and the Brennan Center, as well as NYU Law’s Birnbaum Women’s Leadership Network. Panelists will delve into key questions raised in the series:
- How should we view the parallel affronts to participation and representation – the wave of voting restrictions and the outsized role of big money in politics?
- Can we turn to state courts to offer new avenues in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling Dobbs decision?
- What are the legal and societal impacts of the criminalization of pregnancy and abortion, especially on communities of color?
Register here to register for this special event streaming from NPR’s studio in New York on Wednesday, April 20, 2022.
We look forward to having a strong virtual audience and a timely conversation about why abortion is essential to democracy – and democracy is essential to reproductive justice.
As we noted in the original series: “By formally uniting our voices, we hope to demonstrate that the fight for abortion rights, the fight for equality and the fight for representative democracy are all in the service of the same objective: justice for all. ”
This Brennan Center for Justice event is produced in partnership with NYU Law’s Birnbaum Women’s Leadership Network and M/s. magazine.
Jennifer Weiss-Loup, Fellow of the Brennan Center for Justice; Executive Director, Partnerships and Strategy, Mrs. magazine
Michele Bratcher Goodwin, Chancellor Professor of Law, University of California, Irvine; executive producer, Mrs. On the Issues Studios and Podcast
- Melissa Murray, Frederick I. and Grace Stokes Professor of Law, NYU Law; Faculty Director, Birnbaum Women’s Law Network; Member, Brennan Center Board of Directors
- Lourdes Riverasenior vice president, US programs, Center for Reproductive Rights
- Monica Ray SimpsonExecutive Director, SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Justice Collective
Kathy Spillierchief editor, Mrs. magazine; Executive Director, Feminist Majority Foundation
Sign and share Mrs. relaunched the “We had abortions” petition– whether you have had an abortion yourself or simply stand in solidarity with those who have – to let the Supreme Court, Congress and the White House know: we will not abandon the right to a safe abortion, legal and accessible.